Colorado Hospital Association has compiled these resources to help members prepare for, navigate and support staff through a critical incident in a hospital. These events can be wide-ranging, including abuse from patients and/or family members, being exposed and responding to mass casualty events or a difficult loss of a patient – each requiring the attention of the impacted personnel’s supervisors and hospital leadership. The impact on hospital staff caused by these critical incidents goes well beyond the physical, leaving care teams with emotional responses that can be triggered even years after the fact.
For more information, please contact Gail Finley, CHA vice president of rural health and hospitals, at 720.330.6011.
Health Care Models and Recommendations
- The Schwartz Center for Compassionate Care
- Coalition for Physician Well-Being
- Crisis Prevention Institute
- AONE Toolkit for Mitigating Violence in the Workplace
Disaster Preparedness and Response Modules
- CDC Traumatic Incident Stress
- Center for the Study of Traumatic Stress
- Psychological First Aid
- Colorado Crisis Education and Response Network
- Mental Health and Mass Violence