On Dec. 2, 2022, Health and Human Services (HHS) Secretary Xavier Becerra issued a 60-day notice that the mpox emergency declaration would expire in January 2023.
Background: On Aug. 4, the United States declared the mpox outbreak a public health emergency. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE), and local public health officials are currently monitoring cases of mpox in Colorado, the first of which was identified in late May.
The state has reported multiple hospitalizations due to mpox but no deaths have been reported thus far.
Mpox is a virus in the orthopox family of viruses. Mpox is rare, but it can be serious for people who get it. Mpox can spread from person to person when someone who has mpox has close contact with someone else. Close contact can mean physical contact with the sores, bumps, or lesions of someone who has mpox. Close contact includes sex. Mpox can also spread through touching the bed linens or clothing of someone who has mpox. Mpox can also live on other surfaces for some time.
Visit the CDPHE mpox resources webpage for more information on:
- Provider resources
- Mpox FAQs
- Testing locations
- Vaccine clinics
- Vaccine eligibility form
- Patient forms
The CDC is closely tracking cases of mpox recently detected in the United States. The CDC urges health care providers in the U.S. to be alert for patients who have rash illnesses consistent with mpox. Visit the CDC mpox page for more information.
Professional Organization Websites
- APIC. Mpox in the United States: what you need to know
- British HIV Association (BHIVA). Rapid statement on mpox virus
- ESCMID/IDSA. Joint web symposium on mpox (May 24, 2022)
- National Emerging Special Pathogens Training & Education Center (NETEC). Mpox (various resources)
- ASPR. JYNNEOS mpox vaccine distribution by jurisdiction
- CDC. Mpox and smallpox vaccine guidance
- UK HSA. Mpox vaccination
- HHS. HHS announces enhanced strategy to vaccinate and protect at-risk individuals from the current mpox outbreak. Jun 28, 2022
- WHO. Vaccines and immunization for mpox: interim guidance. Jun 14, 2022